Thursday 13 October 2011

Tescos Chili Manliness Dispute

Unimpressive stuff.  I once bought a pack of dried Habanero chilies from Tescos and they were massively hot.    The old Habanero Wikipedia page suggests the Scoville rating for these is between 100,000 and 350,000.  Usually about an eighth was used in a spicy meal and the pack of 10 lasted me about 3 months.

The other day in Tescos I saw they started doing Bhut Jolokia chilies, potentially rated at 850,000 on the scale, after 2 days of fear we decided to use them tonight... Well we used about a third of one in our dinner (did a quick test on a small bit first) and it felt less spicy that no spice, even when I peppered the hell out of it.  Basically it took all the heat out of my food :(  After this disaster I decided to eat the remaining 2 thirds, I did that while videoing just in case it got terrible and it tickled but little else (actually it was reasonable but no more than a piece of vinegared jalapeno).   All in all a disappointing experience.

Looking at all this sensibly it makes no sense other than maybe I am being deceived by a feeble Bhut and the rest of the pack will ruin me - highly believable.  Both the habanero and bhut jolokia give the old mouth pain and maybe a mild sweat but nothing like the misery that the long thin chilies in Indian takeaways we used to give when trying to be manly where after a severe mouth burning you'd then be treated to burning in the stomach that made you feel sick for about 2 hours. 

The real pain was from Western Balti, everything else Tescos (I also bought some weird ball shaped chilies at Tescos once that were horrible and bland all at once)

No comments:

Post a Comment