Tuesday 18 October 2011

Baseball's Once a Year Treat

I always find with baseball the thought of watching a game isn't appealing and is mainly the image of being bored for the majority of the time and seeing someone make it to first base maybe twice in an hour.  Usually throughout the really long season (150 or so games per team) I watch the brief hit or catch highlights on the St Louis Cardinals' website, or more desperately a dramatic strike out.  It's basically something that could help me survive the NBA lockout (lots of opinions on twitter! none by me) and doesn't involve me having to do anything.

This though is wrong, the last time I watched a game I was in an airport and loads of sweet action was going on, hits runs and all and a few days earlier I'd forced my holidaying companion to watch about 30 minutes of exciting play - I couldn't watch enough, it was better than going outside and sweating and being tired.  The time before that was in my third year of university, after a swell Comeplay a friend with Sky Sports said I could come and watch the last game of the 2006 World Series with him as it featured St Louis battling for redemption after being swept the last time they were in it.  We got to his flat, he went straight to bed and I sat on my own and explaining myself to his flatmate who wandered in confused.  It was awesome and the Cardinals won it for me.  This was a team I became a fan of, bought a tshirt for and played as on Triple Play 2001 because of a large ginger goateed player whom Wikipedia claims confessed to using steroids throughout his career but not for performance, for health..

Well the obvious news is they're back in it and here is the crazy game they won to get there, Cardinals - Brewers Game 6, it's intense stuff.  The added emotional/poignant reality is also that the teams best player, Albert Pujols, is potentially off at the end of the season in spite of being offered $200 million to not abandon me.  The best hitter and defend all in one, it's like a combo of Steven Gerrard.  Anyway, the conclusion is I would watch some games if they weren't on late.  Sneak ad:


X Factor brief opinion, Sophie is good, Frankie gets worse each song, unusually the bottom 2 was correct and Rebecaa Ferguson's first song was played on the radio today, yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment